Thursday, May 17, 2007

When It Rains, It Pours

...except, in a good way.

I got an email today from my alma mater's Director of Career Services, explaining that an alumnus who's a successful author is looking for a few people to work three days at the end of the month at a book event he's doing in New York. And he's offering $25/hour. Am I interested?

Of course I'm interested--problematically, though, I have this "job" thing. The woman who contacted me (I don't know why she picked me, but I'm not looking any gift horses in the mouth) provided the alumnus's email address, so I shot him a quick note explaining my interest and the restrictions on my time. Hopefully, he'll need someone in the evenings and on Saturday, and won't mind that I can't work days.

Even better, the alum is a career & grad school admissions coach, and would be a great contact. (I snuck a reference to my own grad school ambitions into the email I sent.)

With this extra cash (this potential inflow, and also the freelance job through work) I plan to cashflow my grad school application expenses (study guides, test fees, transcript fees, application fees, and postage six ways from Sunday). That way, I won't have to ask my parents for money and I won't have to dip into my savings.

2 comments:

krystalatwork said...

That's awesome! Congrats. What a great way to get some extra cash, and make important contacts as well!

Chance said...

Love it! Money *and* contacts -- it sounds great. You are totally right about the postage line in your budget for grad skool, although a lot of places have switched to electronic submission so you might want to make a spreadsheet of the places you want to apply with a column for e-submission. Most haven't done away with the snail mail option, or updated their materials (welcome to the so-not cutting edge of grad school) so double-check on their website. Good luck!